Jeremiah's Blog

Welcome to Jeremiah's Blog! My writings document my political views, philosophy & views of life, & the life cycle of the Hearts 'a Bustin' shrub and more, based on more than 95 years of observation.
Visit my other blog too:

  • Our Alabama Heritage Blog
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Roswell, Georgia, United States

    Thursday, February 28, 2008

    Jerry's Latest Poem: 'Viewpoint of a Leaf'

    Jerry sent me this, his latest poem entitled 'Viewpoint of a Leaf,' with the following message of explanation. Enjoy this beautiful poem about autumn leaves from the viewpoint of the leaf itself.

    Here is what Jerry said:

    Hi, Judy. Yesterday I went out and paid a visit to the monkeys on the Autrey Mill trail. They are well and seemed happy. There were no complaints as they stood silently in a straight row along the side of the trail. They are still wearing their colorful scarves and seem real proud of the colors as well as the artistic manner of their drapes.

    Another product of the hike was the great variety and color of the leaves along the trail. I tried to tell about them in a poem, but it didn't begin to express how good they looked. The dry weather evidently worked its magic. I am trying to attach a copy for you. All else is going well. Love, Jerry

    Viewpoint of a Leaf
    Sing no mournful, sad songs for me,
    Its time for celebration—can’t you see?
    I’ve lived my life, very long and well,
    Come join with me and help me tell
    Sojourners to open their eyes to the world around
    And to the napping beauty on the ground.

    Look carefully at my well crafted frame,
    Run of time and sun enables it to proclaim
    A change from leaf to beautiful piece of art.
    With more varied colors than on any chart.
    My dried veins with water once flowing
    Now closed, as is the season of growing.

    I am just one of the millions lying around
    Waiting my turn to make solid the ground.
    Meantime my colors add beauty and grace
    To nature’s quilt as it covers the place.
    Some may see and make note as finders
    While others may well have worn blinders.

    It will matter little to me, I’ve done my best.
    I served my master with loyalty and zest,
    I helped bring him much nourishing vim
    From the roots to the tip of each limb.
    It was good work and my master was kind.
    I’ll forever keep him lovingly in mind.

    Its on to the harvest, the feast and the gore,
    The innards of the littlest creatures I’ll explore.
    They’ll chew me up, search for food they enjoy
    And extrude the rest for the forest to employ.
    Some, wanting to use nice words, call it reincarnation.
    For me, I’m just lost in the confusing translation.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home